Ancient Human Teeth Show That Stress Early in Development Can Shorten Life Span

Teeth are one of the most important parts of the human body, and make or mar an individual’s personality. The outer covering of the tooth is called enamel. It is one of the hardest tissues in the human body and covers the crown. Sometimes tea, coffee, cola, red wine and other sugary products stain the outer covering of the tooth. Thus a regular visit to the dentist is suggested for regular cleaning and polishing theses surfaces so as to enhance the life of the teeth. Enamel is a semi-transparent part and has yellow to gray-white colors and is composed of thin rods called enamel prisms, which helps in cementing the substance.

Tooth decay in a person happens due to the problems in tooth enamel because of specific bacteria found in plaque. Enamel consists of 90 percent minerals. When the enamel starts losing minerals it break down and a cavity is formed. Did you know teeth which have more “nooks and crannies” trap more food and leads to more tooth decay than those of smoother surfaces? Teeth of children and young adults are fragile and are more prone to acid attack.

A recent review published by George Armelagos anthropologist of Emory University in the Evolutionary Anthropology, highlighted on the strong evidence obtained from prehistoric research. He revealed that people who acquired tooth enamel defects whilst in the womb or in early childhood tended to die earlier. This paper is the first summary relating to prehistoric evidence. The main revelation of the study is that many of the adult diseases develop during fetal development and early childhood. According to Armelagos, who is also one of the founders of bioarcheology, usually studies skeletal remains in order to understand the relationship between how diet and disease affects human beings. According to him, teeth could be considered as picture into the past and tooth enamels depict picture of physiological events. Poor tooth enamel could be the result of poor diet or psychological stress which shows up as grooves on the tooth surface. One more study pertaining from the South African Pleistocence from a group of Australopithecines showed a decrease of 12 years in life expectancy associated with early enamel defects. Armelagos suggests that this type of prehistoric data pertaining to dental hygiene could be applied as an evidence to provide new insights into the research.

For tooth decay prevention it is recommended to use dental sealants. These sealants are thin-plastic like coating which are applied to chewing surfaces of the molars and helps in preventing the accumulation of plaque. Children and older people usually benefit from the use of tooth sealants. Fluroide is often recommended to protect against tooth decay. A good tooth paste with good amount of fluoride is essential for the long life of the teeth.

Herbal Supplements:

Herbspro.com, founded in 2004, is a leading direct-to-consumer online retailer with over 10000 products in vitamin, mineral, herbal, diet and natural cosmetic products. Herbspro.com takes pride in being able to offer these top brand products at a highly affordable price. Herbspro currently distributes products from over 1000 nationally renowned manufacturers.

About HerbsProBlog.com

6 Responses to Ancient Human Teeth Show That Stress Early in Development Can Shorten Life Span

1. Elizabeth September 16, 2013 at 9:34 am #

You are great, I cant believe I missed this blog for so long.

2. Emma R. November 27, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

I really like the “did you know?” part (hope you can do more of this). Back to the topic! I really find archeology interesting and intriguing due to these kinds of discovery. It is really fascinating how Armelagos was able to determine the dental hygiene, diet, and diseases of the prehistoric people with just their teeth. It is quite… nerve-racking knowing that future inhabitants of Earth can learn how bad or good my lifestyle is based on my teeth even though they wouldn’t really know that it’s me. On a lighter note, this is really helpful for the preggies and mothers out there since it involves child’s health. Healthy eating is really crucial in fetal development.

3. Kier November 27, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

I wore braces back in middle school. Every week, I had to visit my dentist to have my teeth cleaned and have my braces tightened. After having them adjusted, my gums would hurt so badly. It was too hard for me to eat solid foods. Instead of hanging out with my friends at our favorite burger place, I was stuck at home just lying in my bed, dealing with the pain in my gums. My aunt gave me this herbal medicine called, King Bio Teeth and Gums Formula. This was very easy to use, I just sprayed it on my mouth and later it gave me relief from the discomfort. The best thing about this product is its natural contents. It is definitely much safer to use. Now that I’m 27 years old, I still use this product when I have tooth aches or gum pains.

4. Philmar December 22, 2014 at 11:32 pm #

Oral hygiene is very important for everybody, our teeth should always be checked at least twice a year. All the food we eat daily contributes in building tooth decay if not brushed after every meal. Pieces of meat or even sweet ingredients of chocolates can easily damage our teeth. If we don’t take good care of our teeth it may develop cavities and worst, it can destroy our teeth and result to a root canal or even a tooth extraction. A product called Teeth and Gums Formula was introduced to me for better teeth and gum support. It really gave me peace of mind that my oral health is protected daily. I will continue to use this product as needed. Great value for my money.

5. Josh January 28, 2015 at 10:02 pm #

What’s impressive about your site is not only do you have extraordinary articles such as this one, but you also always make sure that your readers would learn from it, thereby making us come back for more. In this case, I have been somehow obsessed with how my teeth look like. When I was in Fifth grade, I used to have braces to correct the alignment of my teeth. Now, I visit the dentist more than twice a year for a mere check-up or cleaning. Other than these, I also have been using Peelu Dental Chewing Gum, it tastes great and leaves my teeth and mouth clean making it feel like I have just finished gargling with mouthwash!

6. Kenji February 5, 2015 at 5:39 am #

Our teeth are one of the most important parts of our body especially when it comes into eating. Many foods can stain our teeth such as tea, coffee, cola, red wine and other sugary products. So it is advised to refrain from consuming these products as much as possible if you wish to have beautiful teeth. Tooth decay can be obtained from not cleaning our teeth properly. Daily brushing and flossing is a must. But it is also found that stress can result from poor teeth enamel; the outer covering of our teeth. But aside from brushing the teeth every day, you may also try Teeth and Gums Formula which has been proved to provide healthy teeth and gums.