We have heard/read on several occasions about the major risks involved relating to the excessive consumption of alcohol. Recently a cross-sectional study presented during American Association for Cancer Research’s 101st Annual Meeting held at the Walter E Washington Convention Center, highlighted a connection between alcohol consumption, cancer and aging, which starts during cellular level along with telomere shortening. Telomeres are crucial for the genetic stability of cells; however, as people age the length of telomere shortens rapidly. This shortening of telomere is said to be the reason behind increase in the cancer risk. Telomeres usually get short due to the consumption of alcohol. According to lead researcher Andrea Baccarelli, M.D. Head of the Center of Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology, Ca’ Granda Hospital Foundation, University of Milan, Italy, heavy alcohol drinking increases the risk of cancer at various positions thus trigger early onset of premature aging and different diseases related to aging. The study was carried on participants who abused alcohol. Of these 22 percent consumed four or more alcoholic drinks per day, while 197 participants displayed different alcohol consumption habits viz., 4 percent had four or more alcoholic drinks per day. The age group of both the groups was similar. Other factors which might have affected telomere length include physical exercise, diet, stress related to work and exposure to environment.

At the end of the study it was found that telomere length lessens in those persons who consumed heavy amount of alcohol; telomere length remained around half in the non-abusers.

Lethal risks involved for excessive intake of alcohol
Long term use of alcohol abuse results in addiction which in return put a person at a greater risk of acquiring several dangerous conditions. If a person becomes addicted his/her body can’t function normally without ingesting ethanol. If addiction becomes unbearable it could lead to death of an individual. In other cases it could lead to damage of both body and mind or could lead to mental illness. Too much drinking also results in the weight gain of a person. But, if a man takes two drinks and a woman who intake one drink a day are said to be moderate drinkers.
Those who become habitual can miss out the joy of family life, hobbies or friendships. It can have ill effects on children; addicted people also can’t take their own decision because of the poor judgment and would often react without understanding the situation.

Controlling Excessive Alcohol Abuse

Fruit juices play a vital role in diminishing the effects of alcoholism. To control the hangover, it the juice of lemon or orange can do wonders. Eating fruits like banana and apple also helps in flushing out the toxins from our body which have been generated through the use of alcoholism.

Herbal Supplements:

Sweet Echinacea Alcohol-Free
Chinese White Ginseng Alcohol Free

Herbspro.com, founded in 2004, is a leading direct-to-consumer online retailer with over 10000 products in vitamin, mineral, herbal, diet and natural cosmetic products. Herbspro.com takes pride in being able to offer these top brand products at a highly affordable price. Herbspro currently distributes products from over 1000 nationally renowned manufacturers.

About HerbsProBlog.com

6 Responses to Excessive alcohol consumption can results in cancer at various positions in body – Study

1. Wendy Charette September 14, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Right here is the perfect blog for anybody who wishes to understand this topic.

2. Gary F September 16, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Just want to say your article is striking. The clearness in your post is simply spectacular. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.

3. Mark Thomas September 22, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Till now, I only thought alcohol spoilt the liver, but cancer also?? And that to at various parts of the body? I will decrease my consumption of alcohol. Thanks for the info buddy! Keep up the good work!

4. Gianna L. November 27, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

It is a health hazard to drink excessive amounts of alcohol because researchers have already studied the effects of alcohol drinking and has already set a limit for the recommended alcohol consumption. It is actually new to me that alcohol abuse also affects the genetic stability of cells negatively since it is more known to people that it is the liver that is heavily affected by too much drinking. It is great to know how to control the effects of alcohol by drinking fruit juices since I really like drinking lemon, apple, and banana juice. The popularity of vegetable juice is also rising so it might also help aside from the fruit juices.

5. Mike November 27, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

I’ve read this before and this was a wake-up call for me. Alcohol has always been a part of my life. My friends and I would always meet up every weekend and just drink all day. Last year was my worst year, I was going through so much and I would always turn to alcohol just to forget my problems. I just thought that I needed to drink in order to relax and feel better. My family learned about this and it made them really worried. My uncle, who is a doctor warned me that if I don’t control my drinking it would most likely lead to liver cancer. He said that excessive drinking is not the main cause of liver cancer, but too much alcohol consumption and that the liver cirrhosis itself is one of the risk factors for liver cancer. I didn’t want my life to end up that way so I decided to change my lifestyle. I didn’t want to miss out the joy of being with my family. I hope everyone learns from this article.

6. Jacob January 28, 2015 at 10:09 pm #

I have been aware ever since that excessive alcohol consumption can lead to life-threatening health conditions. I learned before that its overall mortality rate was found to be similar to the effects of physical inactivity. After reading this informative article, I have just realized and thought to myself that alcohol does a lot of things in our body, and some of which we are even unaware of making it more threatening. I sometimes tend to rely on alcohol to relieve myself from my emotional downfalls and stress from work, but I guess this article lets me just think again before doing so as it may cause more problems in the long run. My wife is seven months pregnant and I don’t want to make her worry by doing this. Thank you for a very friendly reminder, Herbs Pro!