Vitamin D and its Deficiency

Tired, feeling lazy, bone pain, muscle weakness, just not feeling like you? It could be that you are suffering from a vitamin D deficiency. Many people suffer from vitamin D deficiency and never even know it. The symptoms are generally subtle. Low vitamin D can pose a health risks and can be associated with cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairment, severe asthma in children and cancer. There have even been some studies that suggest vitamin D could help in the treatment and prevention of type 1 and 2 diabetes, hypertension, glucose intolerance, and multiple sclerosis.

Do we know what causes a vitamin D deficiency? Well, there are a number of things that contribute to it. Sometimes it is as simple as we are not consuming the right amount of vitamin D over time. This happens to people that are following a strict vegetarian diet. Vitamin D is found in many different animal based sources, such as fish, fish oil, egg yolk, cheese, fortified milk, and beef liver.

Exposure to sunlight is important; vitamin D is made in the body when your skin is exposed to the sun. There are many reasons you may not get enough sun, you live in northern latitudes, have a job that prevents you from getting sun, homebound, or maybe you wear long robes or head coverings (for religious reasons) that prevent you from getting the sunlight you need.

If you have dark skin, the pigment in dark skin, melanin, reduces the skin’s ability to make vitamin D from sunlight exposure. This occurs more in older adults.

The older you get the less likely your kidneys will be able to convert vitamin D into its active form. Certain medical problems such as Crohn’s disease, cystic fibrosis, and celiac disease will prevent the absorption of vitamin D from the things you eat.

Obese people sometimes have a problem with a vitamin D deficiency. When you have a body mass index of over 30 or greater you will have lower levels of vitamin D. Why is this? When you are overweight vitamin D is released from the blood by fat cells and this alters its release into circulation.

The only real way to know for sure if you suffer from a vitamin D deficiency is to have a blood test. You doctor can order one and he will be able to tell you if there is a problem.

How do you treat a vitamin D deficiency? The only way is to get more vitamin D is to change your diet and take a vitamin D supplement. You can even spend more time in the sun, but be careful how much time you spend in the sun and use a sunscreen.

Vitamin D 400 IU
Vitamin D Fish Liver Oil 30 Sftgls

10 Responses to Vitamin D and its Deficiency

1. adam September 13, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

Hi There,

As for a person that is suffering from a vitamin D deficiency, i must say that it is a life saver.
    It was really a surprise for me, As I did not even know I had this deficiency until I got to the clinic and did a routine blood test.
    I Always felt Tired, i got lazy and suffered from Bone Pain… As i started to take my Vitamin D my life was completely changed! now I’m like a new person!
    Thanks for the article,
    Adam!

2. Michael Kher September 14, 2013 at 5:03 am #

Very beneficial blog.. Thank you for information…

3. Berni September 14, 2013 at 10:06 am #

Studies have also shown that people who are obese often have low blood levels of vitamin D. Body fat traps vitamin D, making it less available to the body. It’s not clear whether obesity itself causes a low vitamin D level or if it’s the other way around.

4. Clark J September 14, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

I would like to thank you for the initiatives you have created in composing this content. I hope for the same high high quality of perform from you later on as well.

5. Sameer September 15, 2013 at 6:27 am #

This is really attention-grabbing, You’re a very skilled blogger.

6. Royce Frazier September 15, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Oily fish and egg yolks are good source of Vitamin D. I intake this food daily on recommendation of nutritionist.

7. Sandra Richfield September 16, 2013 at 5:22 am #

Hhmm… Interesting point of view.

8. Ellen D. December 4, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

This is a vitamin that I will be sure to look into. I have certainly noticed that recently I am constantly tired and looking for the next cup of strong coffee to revive my energy levels. Hopefully by trying out an increased level of Vitamin D in my diet I can change this, and no longer spend so much on coffee!

9. Vanessa February 4, 2015 at 2:30 pm #

Oh my, this is such a good post; I’ll be sharing this on my Facebook timeline to keep myself reminded! Since I am quite eager in losing weight, I decided to put myself on a strict vegetarian diet for almost six months now. To tell you honestly, I sometimes have cravings for meat and dairy products but would just try really hard to help myself from giving in. Upon reading this article, I am now enlightened as to why I am always feeling sluggish and am having muscle spasms recently for no particular reason. My mom told me that maybe I was just lacking exercise but I highly doubted it, that’s why now it’s all clear to me that I lack Vitamin D. Now, I have a great reason to eat meat again!

10. Danielle February 4, 2015 at 11:53 pm #

I didn’t know that vitamin D deficiency can be quite serious since most people would just mistake it as fatigue or stress which we often get when we are overworked and since we mistake it for such, it is even harder to determine whether we need to go to a doctor or not. Even annual check-ups can be time consuming for the busy people and it might be too late if it ever develops into an even worse kind of illness. Sun exposure can also be risky since there is no recommended time to go out because of the climate change. It is good to know the different foods that contain vitamin D since I do not like taking supplements as much as possible.