What is vitamin C and why do we need Vitamin C?

What is vitamin C?
Everyone knows what vitamin C is, right? It is ascorbic acid, a water soluble vitamin that must be replenished daily. This vitamin is needed in the body to form collagen in bones, cartilage, muscle, and blood vessels that aid in the absorption of iron. Vitamin C can be found in fruits and vegetables. Citrus fruits seem to be the highest in vitamin C, such as oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, and so on.

Why do we need Vitamin C?
A severe vitamin C deficiency can cause scurvy. This is a disease that causes, severe tiredness, hair loss, and gum disease. It is rare now, but it didn’t used to be. Scurvy can cause sudden death and patients with scurvy are treated with vitamin C and kept under a doctor’s care.

The facts are there are many reasons to make sure you get enough vitamin C in your diet. This vitamin is an important antioxidant, it aids in the prevention of some cancers by blocking free radicals. Vitamin C is needed for growth and repair for tissue in all parts of your body. It helps to heal wounds and create scar tissue, while repairing and maintaining cartilage, bones, and teeth. It not only does all of this, but it forms important protein that is used to make skin, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels.

The many uses of Vitamin C

Over the years it has been used in the prevention and cure for the common cold. This has not been conclusively proven, but it seems that people who take vitamin C on a regular basis tend to get over their colds faster and the colds do not last quite as long.

Vitamin C is an anti-inflammatory. That is why many people feel that it helps with asthma. Asthma is the swelling of the lungs due to an allergic reaction to something. It has also been suggested that low levels of vitamin C can contribute to the development of asthma, but these studies are inconclusive and need more research.

In people with high blood pressure it has been noted that taking a vitamin C supplement may decrease systolic and diastolic blood pressure.

Skin aging may be slowed down by vitamin C. Vitamin C can be applied topically to improve the appearance of wrinkled skin, fine and coarse wrinkling, yellowing, and roughness of the skin. Also you may note that vitamin C is used by the body to create collagen, this aids in skin health as well.

Honestly, the benefits of vitamin C could be discussed at length. The list of benefits and possible benefits goes on and on.

Vitamin C-ComplexPowder
Vitamin C-1000 Complex
Vitamin C 500 MG

12 Responses to What is vitamin C and why do we need Vitamin C?

1. jerry September 13, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

I Agree with every single word!
    I even think that not only almost all of them, but all must consume vitamin C once per day!
    This is the most important vitamins and most essential vitamins we need than others.
    Well, It is a fact that in most commodities has Vitamin C.

2. Tina Patrick September 14, 2013 at 5:02 am #

Thank you so much for a very awesome and well-written content. Excellent job!

3. Amir Jha September 14, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Vitamin C plays an important role in maintaining proper immune function.

4. Sam Payne September 14, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

I’ve been trying to get some information on this particular topic over the last few days. thank you so much, you made my day.

5. J Ray September 15, 2013 at 6:28 am #

I must say, I’m impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and information was very easy to access. I found what I wanted in no time at all.

6. Monica Greene September 15, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Thanks to Scottish man name James Lind who discovered vitamin C in 1747.

7. Dwayne September 16, 2013 at 5:10 am #

I think it is a great blog and very important information…

8. Richard Miller September 22, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

This is a really comprehensive and helpful article on vitamin C. Most of us know the importance of Vitamin C in our body but miss the big picture of how we can maintain acceptable levels in our body. Your article gives all that and more. The section on various uses of vitamin C is quite unique and good.

9. Orthomol Fertil plus November 18, 2013 at 8:35 am #

I confirm. I join told all above. Let’s discuss this question. Here or in PM. vitamin d deficiency treatment

10. Richard P. December 4, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

Vitamin C is one of the more common vitamins mentioned when people are looking to improve their health, and for a good reason. Since I have started increasing the amount of vitamin C I am consuming on a daily basis I have noticed that I have begun to feel much more vibrant, and for lack of a better word… healthier.

I certainly would recommend anyone who feels their age catching up to them to try vitamin C, and notice the difference in the quality of their skin. Thanks for this informative post.

11. Michael Jones December 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

I have always been a supporter of loaded consumption of vitamin C and people around me make fun of me. Thanks for this post, now I have a researched article to substantiate my claim.

12. orthomol Vitamin d food sources December 14, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Orthomol alive vitamins review Brilliant phrase